Cedar Hill Cemetery, formerly known as Nonesuch Plantation, was founded in 1901 under its original name, Forest Lake Cemetery. Its current name, Cedar Hill Memorial Park Cemetery, was not implemented until 1913. Mr. W. H. Harrison was the first president of the cemetery.
The cemetery consists of 150 acres, which holds many scenic landmarks. The cemetery includes two distinctive bridges overlooking ponds that serve as homes for wildlife.
An interesting fact about the cemetery is that it is the location where the early churches performed their baptisms. The oldest known tombstone reads, “Philenia W. Patte, Nov. 19, 1871, 58 years.” There is also a mass grave for the victims of the Terra Cotta Railroad wreck that occurred near Washington, DC. It was reported in the Star newspaper on Dec, 31, 1906 that there were more than 50 victims and 45 bodies identified.
Over the years, several movies, as well as a documentary, were filmed here. Our chapel has hosted many weddings, and our pond has been the backdrop for numerous pictures for special occasions. To date, Cedar Hill has had more than 65,000 burials.
We continue to prosper with the opening of the Cedar Hill Funeral Home and, most recently, the Faithful Companions pet section. We are constantly striving to provide the highest level of professional service that our families deserve.
Cedar Hills Memorial Park & Cemetery is located 6 miles southeast of Washington D.C. Founded in 1901, this historic cemetery borders our nation’s capital and is the resting place for many historic and noble figures. If you are looking for a Washington D.C. cemetery, Suitland cemetery, or Takoma Park cemetery, then Cedar Hills Memorial Park & Cemetery is the perfect choice.
Need to buy cemetery products at this location? Visit our online store.